Monday, August 16, 2010

intro on me!

hey everyone..thought i would try out this blog posting thingyy.

well as i probably already made very clear i am not an internet/technology person at all. i mean i guess i am cause i drive and use a hair dryer in the morning and have phone, but the latest of technology i just try my best to keep away from, i use the basics and thats it. I am not a fan on email because i believe in personal face to face communication. I am not a fan of face book or msn or twitter or anything because i want to be an enligh teacher an all these short terms and modern internet langauge is making our lives hell thru terrible spelling and shrt hnd that ppl r usin these dais coz of net...see my point. i'll find some sites to argue my hate soon and post them..ha the irony!

i am in my last semester of Arts then have a full year of education to go! i thought this unit would be interesting because its waaay out of my comfort zone and whats the fun of being at uni if you dont do things a bit different!

anyway not much more about me, just hope of my links work and i get a grip on this internet and bloggin concept this semester.

see you all in class for old school true blue face to face contact.

cass.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cass!

    I totally agree about the shortcuts encouraging bad spelling, but that might be because I'm studying to be an English teacher too. ;)

    I do have a Facebook account, and I find that it does help with communicating with people I know, especially those who live in different countries. I still type with proper spelling and punctuation when I use it, though, and I would never trade face-to-face communication for it!

    See you in the tute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lololol,

    Hi Cass and Miguelle. I feel sorry for the both of you becoming English teachers, in so far as, when receiving work from your students and then having to mark them. Perhaps telling your future students when handing out the home work that netspeak should not be used and if used will result in a mark of zero for the work.

    For adults it's easy to tell the difference between proper English and netspeak, since they went through their schooling and language formative years with out the influence of the internet to alter their language usage. These days though it's perfectly acceptable to send a kid to primary school with a mobile. I can guarantee that kids with a cap of $10 will do their best to save their credit and use as many abbreviations/net terms as possible. When interfacing on a frequent basis like this is it so hard to understand the confusion when writing something out (zomg pen and paper!) and not really knowing the difference, since they are still learning English?

    Internet interactions don't have the credit excuse (and I'm not going to talk about twitter), but there are many people who use chat rooms and are really slow typers, so have to adopt the language of the internet to be able to keep up in online conversations. This in itself creates a prestige class so even when not in a chat room, people will want to use these language forms to show their allegiance on the internet. Plus sometimes it's just damn fun to run around and talk like an idiot.

    Have respect for netspeak, it is becoming in its own right a language, with it's own spelling and grammar, no longer to be considered English, and as such shouldn't be held up to the standards of English. As long as you tell your future students where the boundaries are you should get English work handed in in English and not netspeak.

    Hope this will help you out =^_^=

    ReplyDelete