Monday, August 16, 2010

Dog or Blog?

Hello everyone!

I'm Marina, a second year arts student majoring in english/anthropology.

I've never taken a womens studies unit before and so far I am actually quite enjoying it.

Although I have never considered myself much of a technological buff, I think that since I got Facebook a few years ago the internet has slowly started taking over my life! I'm hoping that this unit doesn't lead me down the same path by turning me into an obsessive blogger, but instead helps me to understand why these so-called technologies of self-expression and communication are so addictive!

Ever since I got my kelpie x puppy a year ago from the dog refuge, I regularly visit the Shenton Park Dog Refuge website. I may sound like a crazy dog lady but I love looking at their little pictures and wishing I could take them all home. Unless you are considering buying a dog, however, this link probably isn't very useful.

Hopefully Stitch Bitch: the patchwork girl is more helpful in light of this unit. It's a website about an online hypertext I studied in 1st year english called Patchwork Girl, which I was reminded about when reading last weeks article by Catherine Waldby. The interactive program is based on Frankenstein and raises issues such as the monstrous, gender, femininity, and the construction of identity as heterogeneous. Although you don't get the full experience of the program without the interactive cd-rom program, this website provides a broad overview.

Hope this is of some use. :)

Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment