Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 12 Reflection

On the Blog

I found the tutorial blog to be useful for preparation, reflection and interaction. Getting a sneak peek of what people wanted to talk about in their tute presentations made tutes more inviting, and being able to comment on people's posts later on gave me enough time to think more about the topic before I shared my opinions. I also thought it was really good to be able to read each other's work to gain more perspective (and maybe just to not feel like I was the only one having to slave over assignments)!

On the Cyborg Question

I know I'm dependent on technology in a lot of ways, but at this point, I don't see "cyborg" and "human" as being mutually exclusive. I understand that the machine/organism dualism is breaking down because of developments in biotechnology and artificial intelligence. But even then, I see myself as having a close relationship with technology, rather than experiencing symbiosis or convergence. I actually see "cyborg" not as a separate ontology but as a condition we all possess simply because it is a necessary consequence of living in the era that we do. I don't think we are turning into another species altogether because it's not we're able to reproduce with a machine. (But that's just how I try to keep distinctions clear in my head.)

On the Unit

Overall, I thought the unit was really interesting and well-organised. I particularly liked the workshops because they provided a setting for small-group as well as whole-class discussions, and that doesn't happen in most of my other units. Plus, the activities were really engaging!

Thanks for this semester, everyone :) It was a pleasure meeting you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment