Thursday, October 14, 2010

Plastic Bodies

Hi Guys,

On the front-cover of a certain tabloid magazine, I saw two juxtaposing images of a 'real' body (that is, free from cosmetic surgery) and a 'fake' body (one heavily altered through plastic and cosmetic surgery). Both bodies were deemed to have "killer curves" and considered to be beautiful and attractive. The article more specifically however is asking which is more 'perfect'. Ideas of perfection aside however, I was curious as to whether or not those bodies altered through cosmetic surgery are considered to be cyborg? Or does a cyborg need to be more robotic and electronic to be considered so? Is any altered body a foreign and unnatural body? Comparatively, are male body builders such as Arnold Schwartzaenegger, who strive for the perfectly chiseled and proportionate muscular body, often enhanced by using anabolic steroids, considered cyborgs of some sought? if not, why not?

Cheers,

Blake.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm I think while these bodies can definitely be considered enhanced by technology, these 'enhancements' were done to conform to an idea of beauty. If cosmetic surgery makes you a cyborg, can methods such as foot binding and tattoos also be considered to create cyborgs?

    Personally I don't think cosmetic surgery creates cyborgs, I think to be a cyborg the technology you use to change/transport your body has to be more direct in its effects and benefits. Cosmetic surgery seems superficial to me, not empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I am with you Sam. For me, the whole idea of cosmetic surgery and the idea of "real" and "fake" bodies make me cringe a bit because for me, for these terms to have meaning it would mean that we would have to, in some way, categorically define what the perfect body is. Blake, I would probably have to argue that body builders and the like are not cyborgs. I use a rowing machine, just because for some strange reason I find rowing on it relaxing, but using that machine also arguably would change my body over time, however does that mean I am a cyborg simply because I exercise? I would probably argue not, I think it requires a greater connection to technology.

    ReplyDelete